ISLAMABAD: Open Source Foundation of Pakistan holds 5th Open Source Summit & Awards at Bahria University Islamabad
Open Source Foundation Pakistan organized an enthusiastic and informative 5th Open Source Summit 2018 at Bahria University Islamabad on 8th March. For the 1st time, Open Source awards were given to various techies to acknowledge their contributions to Open Source in Pakistan. There were around 500 attendees from industry, academia, govt, and students.
1. The event started with a welcome address by Dr. Najamul Islam of Bahria university. He said that the hosting of this annual event for the 3rd time by Bahria University reflects the university’s commitment towards Open Source and industry academia collaboration. Chief Guest, Dr. Arshad Ali, Executive Director, Higher Education Commission, mentioned that events such as Open Source Summit are excellent for spreading awareness and for creating industry academia linkages. He also said that universities should utilize open source platforms to build their IT infrastructures in future. To build Open Source culture in Pakistan, he recommended that OSFP should build a road map with future activities and timelines for spreading open source in Pakistan. He said that HEC has allocated Rs. 1.5 billion for National Research programs in universities and open source community can submit research proposals to this program.
3. Mr. Salim Rafik, Chairman OSFP discussed various problem in the country and how open source can play a part in resolving these issues. He said that IT departments of government are preferring to use Open Source because source code is available and they will not have to hire 3rd parties in case of any issues. He discussed the achievements and role of OSFP in creating awareness about Open Source at both industry and academia level in Pakistan. He said that open source community can contribute 500 million dollars to Pakistan’s economy in the next 5 years.
5. Mr. Yusuf Husain, CEO Ignite mentioned that Open source movement was started in reaction to licensed software for free availability of source code. He discussed the 4th Industrial wave and the importance of innovation and how it has changed the entire world. He encouraged coders to participate in Google Summer of Code program which is a global program focused on bringing more student developers into open source software development.
7. Mr. Wahaj Siraj, CEO Nayatel discussed the importance of entrepreneurship and risk taking and how it has made USA the global leader in IT. He mentioned that 95% of software at Nayatel is based on open source.
9. Brig. Dr. Ashraf Masood, Vice Chairman OSFP, discussed Open Source applications in Block Chain Technologies i.e Banks Data, Vehicles, Elections, etc. He also talked about Open Source Hardware and how he utilized open source hardware to generate a bigger revenue for his organization.
11. Mr. Barkan Saeed, Chairman P@SHA, talked about how Open Source tools benefited him when he started his IT firm many years ago. Also, how Open Source has revolutionized the IT world (Mobile, Website, IoT) over the last decade.
12. Mr. Umair Shahid, Head of Marketing and Products in 2nd Quadrant, discussed various types of Open Source Licenses and their importance for linking, re-distribution and modification of code in open source.
14. Mr. Asim Ghaffar, President Code For Pakistan, shared how Open Source benefited a project of his organization with Islamabad Government. He said that source code should be opened to all so that everyone can benefit.
For the first time, 1st Open Source awards were given to the following for their contribution to Open Source:
· Ms. Sheba Najmi – Founder, Code For Pakistan
· Dr. Mukhtar Ahmed – Chairman, Higher Education Commission (HEC)
· Mr. Wahaj Siraj – CEO Nayatel
· Dr. Ashraf Masood – Ex NUST Dean / CEO Jolta Group
· Dr. Waqar Mehmood – Director KICS, UET Lahore
· Mr. Fouad Riaz Bajwa – Open Source Evangelist
· Ms. Shumaila Keyani – Team Lead UM Health Care Trust
· Mr. Arsalan Hassan – Founder, Clipbucket.com
· Mr. M. Kamran Azeem – Co-Founder OSFP / Senior Consultant Praqma
· Dr. Lutfullah Kakakhel — Ex V.C KUST and Founder 3kay.pk
· Mrs. Asma Qadeer — Co-Founder OSFP / Member Executive Council
· Mr. Asaf Maroof – Open Source Consultant
· Mr. Aamir Shehzad – CEO Roshan Tech
In the afternoon, open source experts belonging to various organizations enlightened the audience with their precious knowledge of open source and its applications.
NAME OCCUPATION TOPIC
Mr. Ameen Sharif Information Security Professional ,
COO OpenWare Business Information Security and Open Source
Mr. Abdullah Saqib Country Manager viamo.io
Mobile Tackling Poverty, hunger, Climate change using Open Source Technologies
Ms. Syeda Rozeena Saleha CEO Kalaam Artificial Intelligence & its Challenges in modern Era
Mr. Taimoor Yousaf AM Big Data Telenor, Chapter Lead, Big Data & IOT OSFP IOT and Open Source Technologies
Mr. Salim Rafik
Mr. Babar Zahoor Chairman OSFP & CEO OWB
Founder OSFP & CTO OWB Edoo – Education Institute Digital Platform
Mr. Ahsan Yameen
Mr. Shahid Altaf Qureshi Ambassador Prestashop
President OSFP, CEO Cyberkings Manage Prestashop
Mr. Umair Shahid Head Of Marketing and Products in 2nd Quadrant Big Data using Postgresql Database
Mr. Hassan Shabir Co-Founder OSFP Open Source and Entrepreneurship
Mr. Mashhood Khan Technical Lead at Recurship and Google Developer Expert for Web and Angular Future Of the Web
Mr. Najam us Siraj Assistant Professor at Center For Advanced Studies in Engineering (C.A.S.E) ETSI-NFV Implementation on OSM
Mr. Muhammad Iqbal Senior Drupal Developer at FIGOVER Drupal CMS
Mr. Asim Shahryar Husain CEO, Turnaround Consulting Turning around failed tech startups
Mr. Qasim Mehmood pfSense – an open source firewall